What is your dream? What do you wanna be in the future?
These are just some of the questions I’d love to ask every time I meet young children. What is so satisfying is to know that at the early age, they have already known what do they want to do in their lives—and that leaves a genuine smile on my face. The best thing about my job is that it is a give and take; you give them the appropriate knowledge that they need to learn and this would serve as their weapon on this wicked world full of competitions and you take their stories with you, you learn from their experiences and you know to yourself that you would carry these stories in your heart forever.
One of the stories that fascinated me a lot is the story of how a man can achieve anything as long as he puts his heart into it. This is the story of Jin. An unstoppable man and one of the people I look up to. We’ve been talking for a month and a half and I must say that this guy deserves the world. After all the hardships, sleepless nights, and all the obstacles that he has encountered were all worth it. As what he said, this phase of his life is an enormous turning point of his; after working in a fashion company, he then realized to pursue his dream as a pilot. His determination to pursue his dreams is igniting tremendously until he decided to study abroad. He spent all days and nights studying, learning.
(If you’re reading this Jin, first and foremost, hi there! and you really inspire me to reach for my dreams no matter how impossible it is!)
Here are the things that I’ve learned from Jin:
- No matter who you are. No matter how old you are. It’s never too late to reach for your dreams.
- When you feel dishearten in the process of reaching your goal, remember, how far you’ve already gone. Having an optimistic mind would comfort your distracted thoughts.
- Language and culture are not barriers, you, yourself is the barrier once you’ve already set to yourself the words “I CAN’T”. Enjoy the process! And in fact what’s more exciting is that you get the chance to meet various people with different cultures and beliefs to yours.
- Nothing is impossible. The word itself says “IM POSSIBLE”
- There is nothing sexier than a man who knows what he exactly wants.
- Within the months of our conversation, there are times that he got so nervous for the pilot job interview for it has 5 phases and what is my purpose in there is absolutely nothing rather than be there for him and let him know that he is capable of everything. I gave him words of encouragement (hoping beyond hope that it helped). One of my favorites (just in case he fails but sure he won’t and I am not mistaken):
If Plan A didn’t work, The alphabet has 25 more letters.
- To all those people who are in long distance relationship: Jin had been in a long distance relationship for 9 months; for the sake of his dreams and career. and I must say that there is nothing wrong if you will put your career first before anything else. As Lady Gaga once said, “some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you’re wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn’t love you anymore.”and after all, if your partner does love you, they would understand. If they love you, they would wait because love knows no distance but if not, at least you have a career who won’t tell you that it doesn’t love you anymore.
- and no matter what happens; NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS. JUST DON’T. KEEP GOING.
The process is definitely long and it is never easy. You would encounter lots of difficulties and complications along the way but you know what? everything is all worth it in the end. As the popular saying goes; you reap what you sow. And thanks be to God, Jin has been reaping what he sowed; he sowed sweat, blood, and hardwork and he’s finally reaping all the fruits of his labors.
Ladies and gentlemen, Captain Hyun Jin Ahn ready to fly you in every destination that you wish. Congratulations Jin. You’re the man! 🙂
Growing up, we are taught to have a dream; to set a goal in our life and pursue it; until then, you would realize the purpose of your life. People call it “calling”. We all have our special abilities or talents that have been awaiting to be discovered. For some, they are still looking for they’re “purpose” and for the lucky ones, they have already found it while striving their best to enhance more of it and take it to the next level and what is more satisfying other than finding your purpose in life? We have this notion that dreams are sweeter than reality, but why not to turn those dreams into reality? Isn’t it just amazing to finally fulfill your goals in life—to finally live the dream that you want? No matter how small or big your dreams are, never stop trying and always believe in yourself. Don’t be afraid to fail! Failures are part of growing up. Widen your horizon. Spread your wings and soar high! Until then you could finally tell that reality is sweeter than your dreams.
P.S, thank you very much Jin for inspiring me to be a better version of myself. Wishing that one day I’d be be able to fly with you. And I do hope you won’t change. Stay humble and no matter how high the altitude that you’ve been soaring, always always keep your feet on the ground.
P.S.S, Aye! Aye! Captain! 🙂